Sunday, June 7, 2009

the day I had a good coffee

I'm sitting in Cafe Mong Pearl, after having one of the only two good coffees I've had since I've been in Chiang Mai. I'm slowly getting around some different cafes, but quality coffee here is few and far between it seems. While I wait for 1000 photos to "batch" (a new time saving photo desizing trick a fellow farang just showed me), I thought I'd blog.

Its starting to rain more, the beginning of the rainy season now. Its a cooler change to the hot season which is nice, but limits plans somewhat. Twice yesterday my housemates and I tried to emerge to go out on the scooter (our main transport) which isn't as inviting when its raining. But I have had some days of tourism this week. I've been touring temples, silk making and various handicraft factories and showrooms in a tuk tuk, patting tigers, watching crazy monkeys do tricks, riding an elephant and jumping off a bamboo raft. The night life has been good, from themed kareoke rooms and more fantastic live music, to last nights dancing the night away.

Chiang Mai has a laid back feel that I like, but sometimes clashes with my western culture. I think I waited almost half an hour for a cocktail at Sudsanan, my now local live music bar/restaurant. They weren't busy, and I thought they must have forgotten my order, but they hadn't and its like time matters less here. I've been hanging out a bit with some aussies that live next door, enjoying a bottle of cab sav (made in australia, purchased in burma)together one night for 200 baht (very cheap). Wine is so expensive in Thailand with import tax! I'm craving it.

Thailands catch phrase is the "land of smiles". Chiang Mai has so many tourists here and the town relies heavily on the industry, but I wonder if it makes for many happy people. I think the communication barrier makes life somewhat stressful, for both parties. Haggling over prices, trying to get directions. I've had some fun experiences sitting in the front seat of a songthaow with the driver, practising counting to ten in thai and exchanging words from each language with many gestures. And I've had some hard times, finding it easier to walk a few km's rather than haggle with every driver who comes by. Good experiences though, realising just how easy life can be when you can communicate properly. I have a great friend, Bui, who I'm living with, and she speaks both thai and english fluently, and she has made my life possible over here!

As for plans for travel, I expect to head back to Australia end of June. I'll stay almost another 2 weeks in Chiang Mai, and do some preparation and research work for the cafe Emmi wants to open. I'll take some more photos of Baan handicrafts and hopefully turn out with a few good ones they can use. Then probably head to Krabbi beach for about 5 days of climbing, sunbaking, diving etc before flying to Singapore for a few days, possibly Malaysia for a few days and then home.

No comments: