Sunday, May 31, 2009

scootering around

I hired a scooter today with a scottish backpacker I've met, and we rode up Doi Suthep mountain to see a buddhist temple there. Doi Suthep mountain rises up at the edge of Chiang Mai, about 16km ride to the top, it has a great view of the city if the cloud isn't too low. The road was great, perfect road for motorbikes, winding up and down. Once at Doi Suthep, we climbed a billion stairs to get to the temple. I haven't been to a buddhist temple before, so I didn't have much clue about the significance of certain things. For starters, they wouldn't let me in until I covered my knees, so I had to wear a thai wraparound skirt-thing over my shorts. Then we spent almost an hour wandering around hundreds of golden statues, people holding incense and orchids and praying, wreaths of flowers and money boxes. It would have been better if I had someone thai and buddhist with me to explain the significance of it all, because it meant very little to me. Back in town in the afternoon, and there were a few short but heavy showers. I'm enjoying new independance with this scooter, I won't want to return it tomorrow!

On other news, I'm helping a thai woman get some specifics organised to start a cafe opposite the Chiang Mai Uni, and I'm learning how to use my camera properly by taking some photos of handicrafts made by thai women with HIV, that they might be able to use for promotional material. I feel pretty blessed to have connected with quite a few good people to show me around, take me around, let me stay, have a coffee, see live music, or chat! Gods looking out for me once again.

No comments: