Tuesday, May 19, 2009

business4transformation

So I'm at the "business as mission" conference this week. There's about 80 people there, from various countries with all sorts of stories and experiences to share. I've chatted with a guy teaching business in Bosnia, a couple from the sunshine coast franchising TESOL, heard about people starting cafes and handicrafts businesses, running factories and doing community development. I feel somewhat out of my depth, like a newbie with not much to offer, but I'm pretty much there to learn and network. Hearing about how business is as much a calling as any other resonates with me. I'd love to see the church recognise and bless people in their vocations, rather than having people drawn to work in churches.

If I felt like there was not much business/community development opportunity to be found in Australia, it feels like the direct opposite here. I've spoken to a lady who wants to set up a cafe near Chiang Mai uni, particularly to create a safe place to relate with homosexuals and prostitutes. I spoke to a guy who's about to open a cafe in a village in China, and one of the speakers at the conference said I could visit his cafe in Peru and see what they do. Now, its like I've dipped my toe into a huge pool, where to go, what to do? I wish I had a business & community development plan of my own, that I could show all the experts at the conference, refine it and get it going, but I'm just not there yet.

I've also been reading some of Hebrews, which has overlapped with other things I've read and heard just in the last few days, funny how God does that. About how to walk in faith, like the ancients did, letting go of the weights that hold you back for journeying with God. Speaking of journey with God, I was encouraged today to do the things that I love and I'm wired for, and not get uptight about "is this Gods will or not?????", but to seek him first and trust him for everything and step out in faith doing whats in my heart.

2 comments:

Jaz :) said...

Hi Sarah,

I just posted a comment which I meant to be for the business4transformation, but I accidently posted it on 24hours in Chiang Mai. First time I've even posted a blog comment, and I muck it up!Just thought I'd let you know so you can find it.

with love
Carolyn

Unknown said...

ha, good to know the blogger circuit is alive and well!!
That seems really exciting to be able to meet people and hear stories from all over the world. Who ever said you needed to have a plan or goal in mind right away? It seems that there are some really cool, left-of-centre cafe ideas happening. Although yes you seem like the little Grasshopper at the moment..give yourself some time to hear, create. think and pray...Sorry I can't find the pamphlet at the moment for the cafe I went to last year.
It's been raining during the week here-i'm getting a bit over it.
Drink that Coffee and Soak up those words
L